I have always believed in the benefit of leading a healthy lifestyle, but becoming a mom inspired me to turn it up a notch. Like most parents, I wanted to provide my children with a healthy foundation and protect them from chemicals that did not belong in their bodies. After my first son was born I began to realize I was only scratching the surface. I had a lot to learn about food additives, dyes, artificial flavors and sweeteners, preservatives and chemicals with unpronounceable names. The more I learned, the more I distrusted the well-known brands that were a major part of our diet. My kids even picked up on my new habit. Imagine my embarrassment when my 6 year old blurted out at a birthday party, “Hey Mom, there’s high fructose corn syrup in these fruit snacks!”
By the time my second and third sons came along, I began to learn about the chemicals not just in foods, but in cleaning and personal care products. I became more suspicious about toxins in skincare products when my son became ill during the application of one of those Halloween face painting kits. His throat started to burn and he vomited white foam. When I looked at the back of the product label, I noticed the warning to avoid using certain colors near the eyes or mouth. But wait – this was a FACIAL makeup kit! How could it possibly create this kind of reaction?
All along I was experiencing some unexplained rashes, and developed Raynaud’s syndrome. My doctor started to watch me closely for Lupus, among other autoimmune diseases. During that same period several close friends and family members were diagnosed with cancer. I became concerned for the health of my family and myself. I became a mom on a mission committed to reducing our exposure to toxins in foods and household products. I started to investigate the ingredients in diaper creams, lotions, and baby shampoo and again, found good reason to distrust the brands I once thought were safe. I had already discovered that my own makeup and personal care products were loaded with toxic chemicals that are linked to a variety of serious health concerns. Continue reading