Welcome to our new blog column, “This Week in LBBC,” a weekly update of local and national events, programs and other initiatives by Living Beyond Breast Cancer. Learn about our upcoming conference for women with metastatic breast cancer, triple-negative breast cancer and a local community meeting on managing fear.
TRIPLE-NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER WEBINAR SERIES: We’re still two weeks away from our two-part webinar series. Learn about the events below:
- Part One: Medical Update: On Thursday, April 17, from noon – 1 p.m. ET, featuring Rita Nanda, MD, who will help you understand today’s standard of care treatments for triple-negative disease.
- Part Two: Managing Fears of Recurrence: On Thursday, April 24, from noon – 1 p.m. ET, Julie Larson, LCSW, will discuss triggers of fears of recurrence and teach you strategies that will help you.
ANNUAL CONFERENCE FOR METASTATIC BREAST CANCER: Our eighth Annual Conference for Women Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer is less than a month away! Come join us Saturday, April 26 – Sunday, April 27, at the Philadelphia Marriot West in West Conshohocken, Pa. Register for the conference or apply for a travel grant and fee waiver. Visit lbbc.org/metsconference to download a conference brochure.
BREAST CANCER NEWS STORIES ON LBBC.ORG: We cover cutting-edge breast cancer news on treatment updates, emerging therapies, study results and other medical of quality-of-life issues important to you. Here are recent stories we posted to our Breast Cancer News section:
- Study Finds Higher Dose of Fulvestrant Reduces Risk of Death: The final analysis of survival data from the Comparison of Faslodex in Recurrent or Metastatic Breast Cancer (CONFIRM) trial is encouraging, with researchers reporting that postmenopausal women with metastatic, hormone-positive breast cancer live longer when given twice the past standard amount of fulvestrant (Faslodex).
- After Some Breast Cancer Treatments, Risk for Other Health Conditions May Rise. A recent study suggests that while women are living longer after treatment for breast cancer, they may be at greater risk of developing certain health conditions as they age.
LOCAL MEETINGS ABOUT BRCA: You have one more opportunity to learn about hereditary breast and ovarian cancer risk. Register for our upcoming free community meeting this Sunday, April 6, from 1 – 3 p.m., at the Tiferet Bet Israel in Blue Bell, Pa.
COMMUNITY MEETING ON SURVIVORSHIP: Join us Monday, April 7, for our free community meeting in West Conshohocken, Pa., Survivorship: A Roadmap for Managing Fear. The meeting will explore triggers and strategies for managing and coping with the complex emotions you may feel after a breast cancer diagnosis.
The event’s speaker, Deborah Seagull, PhD, wrote a post on the topic for the LBBC Blog. Check it out and register for the event today!
BAREFOOT BALLS AND YOGA ON THE STEPS: What better way to support our signature fundraising event, Yoga on the Steps, than a Barefoot Ball? Here are two upcoming Barefoot Balls:
- On Saturday, April 5, join King Tut Yogis for a kickboxing class in Marlton, N.J.
- Also on Saturday, April 5, Valley Green Bank in the Mt. Airy neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pa., is hosting a yoga class
Attend one of these events, and visit lbbc.org/Events to learn about upcoming Barefoot Balls near you.